Church of The Good Shepherd - Taloyoak, Nunavut

Sitting at the foot of a series of rocky hills on the shores of Stanners Harbour, Taloyoak (pronounced ta-low-ruaq) is the northernmost community on the Canadian mainland. The word taloyoak is a misspelling of the Inuktitut word talurjuaq, meaning "large blind". It refers to a stone caribou blind traditionally used by Inuit to corral and harvest caribou.

The Anglican mission station was established in 1955 and a church was built in 1959. The parish also includes the outstation of Gjoa Haven and the Church of the Messiah.

The parish is currently being led by a group of dedicated lay leaders.


Church of the Messiah - Gjoa Haven
Gjoa Haven Church.jpg
Gjoa (pronounced Joe) Haven is on the southeast coast of King William Island. To local residents, the community is called Uqsuqtuuq, the "place of plenty of blubber", for the herds of seals that once flourished here.

The first Anglican church was built in 1956 and the mission station was established in 1958. A new church was built in 1964.

Rev. Ikey Nashooraituk is the priest in charge of this parish.

Ikey Nashooriatuk.jpg