St. Timothy's - Pond Inlet, Nunavut

Pond Inlet is known to the Inuit as "Mittimatalik", the place where Mittima is buried, or where there is Mittima. However, who Mittima was is a mystery.

The Anglican mission was established in Pond Inlet in 1929 and a new church was built in 1977.

Aboriginal clergy in the diocese were trained at the Arthur Turner Training School in Pangnirtung. A number of these clergy are from Pond Inlet.
Pictured here are (left to right) Rev. Moses Idlout, Rev. Ben Arreak, Rev. Jimmy Muckpah (retired), Rev. Moses Kyak (retired), Bishop Paul Idlout, Rev. Joshua Arreak and Rev. Jonas Allooloo

The parish had four people ordained as deacons, three of these have since been priested and are now in charge of parishes in the diocese. They are Rev. Caleb Sangoya, Rev. Brenda Panipakoocho, Rev. Bethuel Ootoova and Rev. Ikey Milton.

Rev. Caleb Sangoya is the retor of the Pond Inlet parish and regional dean of the High Arctic.

Rev. Bethuel Ootoova was priest in charge of the parish at Cape Dorset but is currently on leave and assisting at St. Timothy's. Rev. Josie Enuaraq was non-stipendiary priest at Resolute Bay but has since retired.

Rev. Ikey Milton is currently on leave in Pond Inlet and Rev. Brenda Panipakoocho is currently employed by the Government of Nunavut in Iqaluit.

Bethuel's family.jpgRev. Bethuel Ootoova & family with Bishop Andrew and Rev. Tigullaraq
Brenda's  family 2.jpgRev. Brenda Panipakoocho and her family with Bishop Andrew
Ikey's family.jpgRev. Ikey Milton and his familty with Bishop Andrew

Josie's family.jpgRev. Josie Enuaraq & family with Bishop Andrew & Rev. Moses Kyak

Outstations of St. Timothy's include St. Peter's Church in Grise Fiord and St. Barnabas' Church in Resolute Bay. Scheduled air travel between these communities is very limited.

 From Arctic News 1990 by Richard Matthews, Pond Inlet (POND INLET REVISITED)

In September of 1989, Mrs. Joan Turner, the wife of the late Rev. Canon J.H. (Jack) Turner, returned to Pond Inlet for her first extended visit there in over forty years. The people of Pond Inlet received her with great joy, and for ten days Mrs. Turner was able to reminisce with them and relive what she said were "some of the happiest years" of her life.

Mrs. Turner first came to Pond Inlet aboard the Nascopie, the historic Hudson Bay Company ship, in the summer of 1944, as the bride-to-be of Canon Turner. (Canon Turner had founded the Pond Inlet mission with the Rev. Harold Duncan in 1929. Mrs. Turner had met him previously on furloughs, and had kept in touch with him by mail. By 1944, she hadn't seen him for four years!). She arrived on a warm day in late August, and within hours of her arrival she was married to Canon Turner by another missionary. Rev. Tom Daulby. As if that wasn't enough for a woman spending her first day in the Arctic, she also had to ensure that all her belongings were unloaded safely from the ship, and she had to make out an order for all the supplies to arrive the following year when the Nascopie would next return!

Pond Inlet was not yet a village in 1944, but a trading post with a few permanent dwellings; the Anglican and Roman Catholic missions, an RCMP detachment and a Hudson's Bay Company post. The Turners spent a year in Pond Inlet (where their first daughter, June, was born) before setting up a mission at Moffet Inlet, about 70 miles south of Arctic Bay. Here, Canon Turner, a seasoned veteran of the sledge journey, was able to concentrate more on translating the Scriptures into Inuktitut, leaving most of the travelling to others. Moffet Inlet, away from the (relative) distractions of the trading posts at Arctic Bay and Pond Inlet, was strategically located on various hunting and trade routes, so the Turners were often visited by Inuit hunters and families on their way to and from the posts.

Mrs. Turner has many fond memories of their time at Moffet Inlet, especially Christmas and Easter, when the Inuit families would gather, build their igloos around the mission house and stay for the services and celebrations. The mission house was often too small for the very large gatherings and services had to be conducted outdoors! Another daughter, Grace, was born to the Turners while at Moffet Inlet and they had adopted an Inuk girl named Rebecca (who now lives in Pond Inlet).

Moffet Inlet was also the sight of a tragedy that eventually ended Canon Turner's life. In an unfortunate accident, he received a serious gunshot wound to the head (and a subsequent back injury as a result of the fall). The accident occurred in late September 1947, and although a medical rescue team parachuted into Moffet Inlet within a week, it would be almost three months before a dramatic Armed Forces rescue operation was able to airlift the injured Canon to a hospital in Winnipeg. Throughout the ordeal, a pregnant Mrs. Turner had to take care of two small daughters, her injured husband, feed and host the members of the rescue team! Although her husband died that December of 1947, Mrs. Turner has no regrets, and she speaks warmly of her years in missionary service. She returned to England, but came back to Canada years later, and for a time in the 1970s worked at the student residence in Iqaluit, NWT. While listening to Mrs. Turner, one cannot be anything but inspired by her tremendous faith in God, her devotion to the Lord, and the love that she shared with her husband.

Mrs. Turner shared a great deal on her return to Pond Inlet. Her daughter, Faith (with whom Mrs. Turner was pregnant in 1947, and who was born only weeks after the death of her father) is currently the head nurse in Pond Inlet, and night after night the small trailer in which she lives was filled with people anxious to talk, visit and pray with Mrs. Turner.

One elder, Kooneeloosie Nutarak, spoke fondly of the days when "Mikiniksak" would tell him and the other children stories, or play games with them. ("Mikiniksak" was the name given to Canon Turner by the Inuit, which means "the smaller one", in reference to his size in relation to Rev. Harold Duncan, "Anginiksak", or "the larger one", when they arrived together in Pond Inlet in 1929 to set up the Anglican mission). "Mikiniksak was like a father to me," Nutarak said in Inuktitut, "very kind and generous." Smiling he added another remark, which means, translated roughly, "and sometimes I needed disciplining". Another elder, Tatigak Akpaliapik, remembered that the two Anglican missionaries arrived to set up in the Pond Inlet mission on the same boat as two Oblate fathers who came to set up the Roman Catholic mission. The two groups worked feverishly, just a few hundred feet from each other, to erect their respective missions. As the joke would have it, the Anglicans fell behind because they stopped more often for tea breaks!

Mrs. Turner brought with her some photographs from the 1930s and 40s, taken by her husband on his many sledge journeys. The elder of Pond Inlet spent many hours pouring over the well-preserved pictures, wondering and laughing, sometimes uproariously, at the glimpses of themselves and their younger days. Their children and grandchildren, too, took a great interest in the images from the past. Many of the faces in the pictures were unknown, as Canon Turner had not kept any records. But the elders were able to identify most of them, and a duplicate set of photographs is currently being prepared for the Pond Inlet library archives.

Mrs. Turner also attended the weekly prayer meeting, and spoke at a Sunday evening service. She thanked the people, and the elders especially for remembering her and "Mikiniksak". She was glad to see that "the warmth in people's hearts is still strong," and encouraged people to keep witnessing and responding to the "light of the gospel of Christ."