St.John's Anglican Church
Fort Smith, Northwest Territories, Canadian Arctic
Diocese of The Arctic
Email St.John's Church
Today is: Friday,24 February,2017 10:13:58 AM

30092007_105922_0.jpg The most important trading post in this area was originally Smith's Landing, later renamed Fort Fitzgerald, where land transportation to Bell Rock, about 34 miles to the northwest, of all goods going north was arranged to circumvent the Slave River Rapids. The population there gradually declined around 1918, as the discovery of oil in Tulita (Fort Norman) resulted in a rush of expansion and in the establishment of a Government office in Fort Smith in 1917 to provide services. Fort Smith then grew in size and importance until it became the Headquarters of the Mackenzie District for the Department of Indian Affairs and National Resources by 1992.
A mission house for the Anglican Church was built probably in 1934, and the present St. John's Church was erected in 1936. There was a missionary here until 1938, who also taught a school class, but his name and full tenure are not known. The parish was largely served by priests travelling to and from missions down the Mackenzie and visits from Yellowknife. Rev. Henry Cook, later Bishop of the Mackenzie, stayed in Fort Smith for a few weeks enroute to Fort Simpson during the late 1930's. The parish is currently fundraising to extend and renovate their church.
Check out our main website @

Copyright 2007 - S.John's Church, Fort Smith
(Website by CCI)



Special Events
Here is a place for Coming Events and Notices that are easy to find for everyone, because they are right on the front page of the website.

 Last Modified: 4 September,2012
Visitor Count: